As a computer tech I am very picky of what runs on my computer, so periodically I do a check of all the processes currently running on my computer, and that’s how I stumbled upon this process called “seaport.exe” which I have no idea where it came from, or what it does.

certainly a quick Google search will help!

apparently seaport.exe comes with Windows live application installations, like Windows Live messenger, or Windows Live writer, which I both use. certainly I don’t want this process running on my computer all the time, it consumes too much resources, and in all honestly I don’t like Microsoft doing updates on my system whenever they want. so how I disable this thing?

Seaport.exe runs as a service, so disabling the service will prevent it from running at start-up. to disable to the service click on Start then click on Run type services.msc click on Ok. the service snap-in will come up:

service snap-in

look for the seaport.exe service on the list right-click it and click on Stop:

disable service

after you stop the services, right-click it again, and click on Properties. the seaport properties will come up:

seaport properties

click on the Start up type option and select disabled then click on OK.

if you want to delete the file completely off your computer, on windows XP, it resides on this path: C:Program FilesMicrosoftSearch Enhancement PackSeaPort . on windows vista, it should reside at C:ProgramsMicrosoftSearch Enhancement PackSeaPort

that should get rid of seaport.exe from your computer forever – or at least until you install another Windows live app.

40 thoughts on “Why is Seaport.exe process running on my Computer?

1. Thanks for the tip, my firewall keeps catching these automatically-updating Microsoft programs ever since I installed Live Messenger.

2. Hi Rob, thanks for stopping by. I normally disable Microsoft updates on my computer, and run a manual update once a week on my machine. I don't like Microsoft running updates on my machine whenever they want, I hate it, especially when you need to reboot.

3. what happens when you delete it? can you still use windows messenger or writer? just wanna know before i delete or disable it. thanks :)

4. Can't everybody get together and sue Microsoft for putting such dysfunctional and malfunctiong JUNK in our homes?
    I just Disabled this bandit, Seaport, and my CPU Usage dropped to from the dizzying heights.
    Didn't they used to ask if you wanted to be a Beta Tester???

5. Beth , you can still use…
    it takes you out of enrollment in one of their marketing schemes, which they call microsoft appreciation or is it customer appreciation? or some stupid thingy so they can make more money in the future by seeing what people do..
    and you can't search 'history' but I think you can still search 'history' Favorites,,, naming in History scares people into NOT disabling it.
    They WANT everyone on it to assess Market Trends!

6. Another useless process bites the dust. I never use the microsoft live, don't know where that even came from. Thanks.

7. "honestly I don’t like Microsoft doing updates on my system whenever they want"
    sory but this me me laugh
    i agree with you, but is MS, you know.

8. ty it helped me out toop iu was like what in the world is seaport n now i know so thank you for all the help :)

9. I found you post very helpful, even for those who have little or no idea of what is going on with the processes on a computer. I however, was observing the processes in Task manager & the 1st thing to pop into my mind was "VIRUS!" Since I am also a Computer Tech. & I very rarely use this computer.

Viruses are tricky and some times require a Complete Reload of the O.S. I have just started this Corporation and I am still building the above Website.

I repair & maintain so many computers; I sometimes cannot recall which computer needs what Process to work properly for whoever the various users are.

Again Thank You for the very detailed description(s) of this Process and/or Executable.

10. FTW!!! TY so much for posting this! Every once in an all-too-often while I've had explorer freeze up on me and I have to do a reboot because of this damn "service". Calling something that conflicts with other programs a "service" is a kick in the pants, this would be like getting "serviced" by an oriental masseuse while she wears spud gloves (aka tater mits, look 'em up if you dont know 'em).

11. Enables the detection, download and installation of up-to-date configuration files for Microsoft Search Enhancement applications. Also provides server communication for the customer experience improvement program. If this service is disabled, search enhancement features such as search history may not work correctly.

12. Ditto same thing happen just now to myself my computer froze and went into a hard drive running spree. Followed your advise and alls back to normal. Things that make you go hmmmmm….

13. They are sneaky, I had found it before, disabled the service and renamed the excutable. The last round of updates snuck it in at a different path- "C:Program FilesMicrosoftBingBarSeaPort.EXE" (on XP)

14. Thanks! I use a startup controller program called Startup Organizer. Also, Online Armor firewall asks me if I want to let it run. It's been alerting me that the program wants to run when the desktop loads.

15. Instead of disabling it, I ran this command on my XP PC to permanently uninstall the SeaPort service:
    MsiExec.exe /X{06E6E30D-B498-442F-A943-07DE41D7F785}

16. Thanks. This one recently popped up on a relatives computer and I was asked to find out what it did. I’m more careful on my systems and don’t allow services unless I know what they are or request them.

17. Glad I found your article. It is easy to follow and puts me at ease knowing all i will lose is the ability to see my history but then i don’t use internet explorer anymore so no loss.I’m constantly shutting down processes on the task manager . now I may be able to go in and actually stop some form loading with your information. There are some you can’t shut down as I learned. Many are necessary for the system to run properly but I have up to 40 processes running at a time and would like to cut that back.
    One process called tea timer is software for a anti spyware program and takes a lot of space. I’m not sure I should shut it down at start up.

18. Another version, but still found by using article’s suggestions.
    “D:Program FilesMicrosoftBingBarBBSvc.EXE”
    Thanks guys :)

19. In general, you should kill any service you don’t use. This is security 101.

Messenger (not to be confused with windows messenger) falls under this category too.
    Every unused service you run is another unnecessary attack vector and windows defaults a metric ton of them on. However thoroughly research every service you disable before you permanently disable.

I once disabled WMI (server 2000 was new and I was inexperienced with windows) which resulted in no longer being able to configure the box LOL. As soon as I set it to disabled, I couldn’t re-enable it. Since I disabled on boot, I skunked the windows installation. Luckily it was a new box and I had just started configuring it. I didn’t remember WMI from NT 4 so nixed it resulting in big trouble. I couldn’t even run regedit.

To see what happens simply stop it lol. Don’t disable it. You can get a taste of the consequences :-p

20. Only thing I put into my computer last night was my new HP all in one printer/scaner/coppyer. And after it was done installing this weird pop up came up and with 2 VERY stupid desktop short cuts. Si I’m betting that’s were the dam seaport came from. now to get rid of that other weird program this printer put in. WTH? I didn’t even get the option to say no.. I have only 2GB of ram another program is NOT an option. Stupid ass Printer CD!

• The very same thing happend to me when I installed my new HP 7510 all in one printer. I´m using Zone Alarm as firewall and it was ZA that spotted seaport.exe when it was trying to connect to the internet.

I´ll take no further action on this as ZA will notice me of every try and I have the option to say no!

• I manually check Windows Update. I changed the Seaport.exe setting to manual in the services menu. When I went to check one day on the Windows Update site, the Seaport.exe came on the task manager, so I assume its connected to the Windows Update site also, I don’t use Windows Live anyway. Alot of posts on the internet seem to suggest it is linked to Windows Live applications, but I found it running only when I go to check on the Windows Update site.I know Windows Update searches for updates to items you have installed on your computer such as printers, or cams etc. listed as optional updates. It probably runs alot more if you have Automatic Updates running as well.